On the History Channel is my favorite new show. They took off Earl and King of the Hill which was exactly half of the TV shows I try to catch each week but Pawn Stars helps ease the pain.
The show is especially great for someone like myself who "tries" to make a living buying and selling. Points out just how absurd it is for people to expect a dealer to pay retail or even close to it.
Man, they get some really cool stuff coming through there!
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
I'm impressed with Rick's range of knowledge. Knowledge is money in that business. I can say I've known more than it seemed like he did about some things (like the bayonets) but he is pretty impressive, especially for a pawn shop guy.
If you don't know fakes and reproductions (there is a difference) and if you don't know values and even trends you will go broke pretty quickly. They seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
I like this show too when I can remember it is on. It also helps that they are in a large city and have access to some of the experts and restorers for their purchases.
I see people a lot who expect to get retail prices for stuff they want to sell at a sports card shop I go to.
I liked when one guy was asking for exactly what the expert said the item was worth and Rick told him that was the retail value, so if he wanted to open himself a nice business and pay all the fees and such he could then get retail
He has also pointed out to at least one customer that auction houses take a significant cut of what an item sells for. I use to sell a lot of stuff through auction. It's usually not really the best way to go, just the easiest.
It fact just this month I have bought two items at auction for a small fraction of what I can get. $2.50 for a lunchbox that usually sells for $70 / $80 on ebay and an old police siren for $6 that usually goes for $120 / $180 on ebay. So I got great deals but the sellers got nearly nothing for a pair of decent items.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
Yeh It's one of my Fav shows now. They never talk about it but I wonder if he has to pay the guys that come in and appraise the stuff. Or if they do it for free for exposure.
That dude cussing about the fake pistol cracks me up
GO VOLS
You know, I think that might be sort of a "for the cameras" thing in a way. I have never seen or even heard of a dealer speaking to an expert in front of the buyer, never. I consult other people on certain items, and other people consult me on some items. There is never any money that changes hands, but there is an unwritten agreement as to give and take, receive help and give help.
Now their situation is different, they may keep some of those folks on some type of retainer? I really don't know how it works when you are actually making big money. Another local dealer once told me that around here you're just sort of trading stuff back and forth with the same people for the most part, and he was right.
[img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]
I didn't think that made sense them talking in front of the person doing the selling. Seems like you would want that to be your ace in the hole type thing.
GO VOLS
Bookmarks